Saturday, September 26, 2009

We the (Creative) People

Greetings, readers of the Crypt of the Creative blog! I'm Jenna, otherwise known as Novel-Goddess (it's an actual nickname that a friend gave me, not vanity--I promise). I'm one of CotC's mods, and one of the writers of the group. I'll be posting on Tuesdays and Saturdays, so keep an eye out! The rest of the time I can be found over at As the Plot Thickens and The Delusional, so swing by if you've got a chance!

As I am primarily a writer, I do tend to lean more toward that subject than anything else. Although, as I realize some of y'all are *not* writers, I'll try to keep it reigned in. Okay, here we go.

Today I'd like to take a moment to talk about creative people in general. We're the people that see things a different way. The people whose minds lie on a different plane. We're the people that look at something and instead of asking "why?" ask "why not?"

I had a long discussion with my mother about this about a year ago, and she said that she suspects that this is exactly the reason why so many creative people go crazy or grow depressed. Or, y'know, cut off their ears. Et cetera.

Her theory is that because we see things differently, we are able to see what is truly wrong with the world and it frustrates us. I guess that's true--I see things all the time that just don't make sense, or I know in my heart are wrong, but nobody else seems to see them and realize that they are. And, honestly, it pisses me off sometimes. That's when I turn to my writing or my painting or my sketching, which are my favorite arts.

Really, this is just a tribute to us--the ones that are creative, and just a bit crazy.

Welcome to the Crypt, everyone!

I leave you now with a question for the comments:
What is your art--writing, painting, photography, or something else?

-Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment